Friday, June 10, 2011

Images and ink (8)

Image: Hodaka-dake in June by Ōshita Tōjiro (1870-1911)

Text: On Hodaka-dake, from Nihon Hyakumeizan (One Hundred Mountains of Japan) by Fukada Kyūya (1964):

As Kōda Rohan wrote: "Beyond the broad declivity in front of us rose up a noble and lofty range, manly in aspect, inspiring both awe and joy. Caught unawares, I was moved almost to tears. A reckless urge to reach out for the mountain took hold of me. For a moment, it was hard to say whether I held the mountain in my gaze or the mountain held me in his."

Related posts: Hodaka in winter and North ridge boogie

2 comments:

wayfarer said...

Thanks for the chance to let us learn about Japanese way of experiencing and appreciating nature. Contributions like those bring people together in the world's small place, making it better for a quant.
If KAIZEN is the way of (world) improvement, we are on the way.

Kittie Howard said...

I held the mountain in my gaze or the mountain held me in his.

This is a beautiful theme in what you write.